Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baa, Baa Cute Sheep

Spring has finally sprung here in New Zealand.  And this means one very important thing: it’s baby sheep season!
So a huge aspiration of mine (since three weekends ago) has been to pet a little lamb.  Mostly because they look so darn cute and tiny.  

So cute. So tiny.

While traveling to New Plymouth for the rugby game, I had a lot of sheep-viewing time in the car.  And I realized that the whole New Zealand countryside is just one big, fluffy, grass-eating mass of sheep.  And mixed in with the big sheep, there were these tiny, fun baby versions.
Unfortunately, we did not have time that weekend to stop the car, jump a fence, chase down a lamb, and then get chased in return by the lamb owner.  So I had to settle with just shouting “EEK” every time I saw one.
BUT, I found the perfect opportunity where it is socially acceptable to pet all the baby sheep you want: SheepWorld!
I know what you’re thinking: Tourist Trap.  And ok, I see your point.  I guess we did just pay to go onto someone’s farm.  In New Zealand.  But it was totally worth it!
SheepWorld is about 40 minutes north of Auckland in Warkworth.  They specialize in really cute baby animals.  There are sheep, alpacas, hamsters, bunnies, and miniature horses whose main job it is to stand there and look adorable.  If you are going, it helps to have long arms so you can reach over the fence and pet them.
And just a warning: if you pet a lamb, you’re probably going to want to take it home with you.  I did not come prepared for this.  Next time I will need to bring a bigger purse.

I'm coming back for you, little buddy!


- Meredith

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith!

    My name is KC and I am 12 years old. I know your aunt Meg because she lives in my neighborhood. I am doing a school project on New Zealand and when I told her, she told me about your blog, so I had to look! thank you for posting and keep up the good work! i have been working on this since sept. and i already love NZ!

    ~KGirl~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KC,
    Thanks so much for posting and for the kind words! NZ is a beautiful place to live with lots of fun things to do. Good luck with your project, and please let me know if you have any questions that I could help with!
    ~ Meredith

    ReplyDelete